The Institute for the Study of Societies and Knowledge at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (ISSK-BAS) is the main national research centre in the sphere of social sciences. It was founded in 2010 as a successor of the Institute for Philosophical Research, the Institute of Sociology, and of the Centre for Science Studies. ISSK-BAS carries out fundamental and applied research, consulting and expert activities, training of highly-qualified specialists and doctoral students.
The Institute issues three peer reviewed journals – Sociological Problems, Philosophical alternatives and Balkan Journal of Philosophy. The Institute is devoted to issues such as social innovation, promoting the generation, development, transfer and implementation of knowledge, as well as improving access to education for people of all ages and social backgrounds. In the pursuit of this endeavor, serious attention has been paid on the following research areas:
- Structure and dynamics of scientific knowledge and the impact of various social factors on the development of science, innovation and novel forms of education;
- Social stratification and inequalities, poverty and social exclusion, forms of social integration and solidarity;
- Ethnic and socio-cultural profile of the Bulgarian population, gender, disability and equal access;
- EU integration and globalization, migration studies and integration of refugees;
- Policies and patterns for sustainable and inclusive growth, transfer of knowledge, lifelong learning and continuing education;
- Sustainable development
– the combination of economic, social and environmental processes, regional and local development, green policies and new social risks;
- Civil society development
– social activism, social capital and trust;
- Socio-cultural conditions precipitating the emergence of crime and corruption;
- Current prognostic methods: scenarios, foresight, strategic planning;
- Models, methodologies and heuristics in contemporary philosophical discourse;
- Dynamics of ethical an aesthetical values in society;
- The universal role of religion as foundation of morality and prerequisite for interreligious dialogue.
ISSK-BAS makes significant efforts to further develop its capacity in the realm of the fundamental sociological, philosophical and social studies research in order to encourage basic knowledge for the development of applied research, which is much needed for the successful implementation of the EU Strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. The Institute’s multidisciplinary research benefits institutions such as the European Commission, national government and especially Ministry of Education and Science and Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, municipalities and public agencies. ISSK-BAS has participated in a number of international projects, EU FP6 and FP7 research projects included.
Main tasks in NEGOTIATE
ISSK will lead WP5 and will co-lead WP7. ISSK team will be involved in all WPs except WP6. ISSK will host one of the consortium meetings (month 31).”
Click on pictures for bio and contact details